Sunny View is a special place to learn, work and grow.
Sunny View Elementary is located in the beautiful foothills of western North Carolina, in a thoroughly rural setting in the northern part of Polk County. The school serves children in grades Pre-K-5. While the school opened in 1926, the first building burned and was rebuilt in 1956. Due to a steadily increasing enrollment, our “community school” has been blessed in recent years with additions (2 new wings), as well as major improvements to the older building.
The faculty and staff are a dedicated, experienced group of professionals who care about doing what’s best for children. One of our mottos is to “strive for excellence every day”.
Sunny View Elementary is a Title 1 school. Title 1 is a federally funded program designed to help learners achieve their greatest potential. Specific students are identified and provided additional instructional support in the classroom or as part of a small group. Title 1 funding allows us to provide Parent Involvement activities throughout the year. Students in grades 3-5 are assessed in the spring using the North Carolina End of Grade Assessments in mathematics and reading. Annually 4th-grade students are assessed in writing and 5th-grade students in science.
The State Board of Education and State Superintendent June Atkinson are committed to ensuring that North Carolina’s schools are preparing students for the demands of college and skilled work in the 21st Century. Report Cards are provided for all public, charter, and alternative schools.
Check out our report card and School Improvement Plan:
|School Report Card
|School Improvement Plan
For more information about the Report Cards, please visit http://www.ncreportcards.org
Sunny View School History (1926- Present)
Sunny View High School opened in 1926 when the community schools of Red Mountain, Sand Hill, Big Level, Lebanon Burnett, and Sunny View were consolidated. School was in session eight months of the year in grades one through eleven. The first graduating class was in 1934. The twelfth grade was added in 1946. The last high school graduation was in 1947 due to consolidation with Mill Spring High School. Through the years, Sunny View School has been fortunate to have dedicated and concerned personnel educating the children. This dedication and concern have been embodied in the fine men who have served the school as principal beginning with Fernando W. Taylor (1926-36). The old school building burned in 1955, causing students to be scattered throughout the community. Classes were held in the Community House, Cooper’s Gap church, and a vacant store building called The Beauty Spot. Mr. B.T. Gantt, Jr. taught in the store building and was principal by phone to the teachers at the other locations. Construction was completed on the present building for the 1956 school year. This history was originally written by Mrs. Beryl Miller and Mrs. Shirley Gilbert, both teachers for many years at this school. Mrs. Miller taught for 38 years and Mrs. Gilbert for 30 years. A few changes were made for space consideration, but it was their research and input that made this what it is. This history and a picture of the school was donated to Sunny View and the Polk County Board of Education by the Alumni, in loving memory of those not with them to celebrate the days of fun and camaraderie they enjoy at the reunions every other year.
Sunny View Elementary provides a full range of services to all children:
Sunny View is a special place to learn, work and grow